Velikiy Novgorod awaits its visitors and people of Novgorod at the exciting tasty Maslenitsa festival! In 2017 the festival will be held on February, 26.
The main celebrations in the city will take place on Pobedy-Sophiyskaya Square, the Kremlin Park, Sophiyskaya Embankment on February, 26 in the afternoon and will last all day. It will be a traditional Russian celebration with performances of folk groups, games, trade fairs and entertainment programmes from different cultural insitutions of Veliky Novgorod. And of course a variety of food and drinks associated with Maslenitsa – pankaces and hot tea!
Novgorod Maslenitsa in the House of Folk Art on February, 25
The Maslenitsa is a traditional fest of the folk calendar celebrated before the Great Lent. Festival guests are offered blinis, take part in traditional rites, dances and games, decorate a scarecrow which will then be burnt in the traditional bonfire at the end of the festival.
- welcoming of the guests with blinis (Russian pancakes)
- Maslenitsa wedding rites
- Introduction of the engaged girls
- Walks with members of the folk groups
- Workshops visit
- Folk play Lodka
- Traditional games
- Petrushki carousel
- Horseback riding
- Ritual Maslenitsa bonfire
Price: adults 700 Rub., children 350 Rub.
The number of participants is limited!
Venue: Novgorod region’s House of folk art (14 Bredova-Zverinaya Str.)
For reservations call +7 (816 2) 77 60 53, 73 96 07 or send an e-mail to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information call +7 (816 2) 73 96 26, marketing department
Maslenitsa in Vitoslavlitsy – February, 23 - 26
The celebration includes traditional rites,
- Thursday (1 p.m. - 3 p.m.) - "Folk party".
- Friday (1 p.m. - 3 p.m.) - "mother-in-law parties". On this day mother-in-law used to pay a visit to her son-in-law. Her daughter (son-in-law's wife) baked pancakes. Mother-in-law came with her relatives and friends. Son-in-law had to demonstrate his affection for his mother-in-law and her relatives.
- Saturday (1 p.m. - 3 p.m.) - "daughter-in-law parties". On the sixth day of the Butter Week young daughter-in-law used to invite her sister-in-law and other relatives of her husband to visit them. If sister-in-law was not married, daughter-in-law invited her unmarried friends. If sister-in-law was married, daughter-in-law called her married relatives. Daughter-in-law should give a gift to her sister-in-law.
games and performances. The entrance ticket costs 200 roubles.
The main celebration will be held in Vitoslavlitsy on the last day of Maslenitsa (February, 26), the Forgiveness Sunday. The entrance ticket costs 350 roubles.
- Traditional rites
- Traditional games and skits
- Fist fights
- Blinys and tea
Venue: Museum of wooden architecture Vitoslavlitsy
Тelephone.: +7 (816 2) 77 37 38, 77 81 60
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Maslenitsa 2016 from Hippo on Vimeo. Skyview - Ivan Lyusov