Veliky Novgorod is not accidently called a city-museum of Old Russia - no other place has preserved that number of great monuments of architecture and monumental painting.
Here it is hard and sometimes impossible to define where the city ends the musium begins. About 50 valuable monuments became a part of a modern city living structure. Here you can touch a rough wall and see an ancient fresco. The history of Novgorod churches, monasteries, fortifications is ful of amazing as well as tradgic pages.
Online City Guide of Veliky Novgorod: maps, tourist routs, practical information.
Functioning cathedrals and churches of Veliky Novgorod.
Bring your friends and relatieves tasty and useful souvenirs from Veliky Novgorod: ginger bread, honey, kvas (bread drink)!
According to the chronicles, the convent was initially established by the bishop Ioakim the Korsunianin in 998.
Nowadays, the refectory church of the Holy Trinity (1557) and the church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (1892) are the only buildings that have survived in the cloister.
The Monastery is named Pokrovsky for the main temple – Cathedral of the Intercession of The Holy Virgin; and Zverin – for Zverinets i.e. game preserve for princely hunting that existed here in 11th century.
A seminary was established at the monastery in 1740 – it was one of Russia's first learning institutions. Now the building houses one of the departments of Novgorod State University named after Yaroslav the Wise.
Not far from St. George Cathedral, right next to the source of the Volkhov River, is the place of an ancient settlement of Peryn.
Located at the source of the Volkhov River and Lake Ilmen, this functioning 12th century monastery is a part of a magnificent natural panorama.
This convent was founded in the 12th century by St. Varlaam, one of the most hallowed saints in the North of Russia.
The marvellous architectural ensemble of the cloister is situated 12 kilometres (7 miles) north-west of Veliky Novgorod.
Located 23 km away to the south-west from Veliky Novgorod, at the Veryazha River. The monastery was glorified with a number of miracles by the Reverend Michael Klopsky.