This church was built on the site of the old Church of the Holy Sign, which was erected for keeping the icon «Our Lady of the Sign» that protected Novgorod from an attack by a host from city of Suzdal in 1170.
|Audiogides in Russian, English, German and French!|
Now the church is a typical example of 17th century Moscow architecture. Its facades are decorated with frescoes and pieces of tile. The interior was painted in 1702 by masters from city of Kostroma. Been preserved till these days their paintings are remarkable for the presence of some secular plots. The perfect acoustics inside turns the cathedral into a perfect place for chamber choir music concerts that makes it possible to feel better all the beauty of the artistic design of this outstanding architectural ensemble.