The stone church was constructed in 1407 to replace its wooden predecessor that was there since 1184. The Christian cult of St. Blaise ("Vlasiy" in Russian), the patron of cattle, is the evolution of the ancient pagan cult of god Volos or Veles. It is likely that in pre-Christian times the place where the church is today was the site of an idol of Volos.
According to an apocryphal story, Bishop Blaise, to whom the church is dedicated, had to escape from persecution by Emperor Diocletianus and therefore hid himself in the mountain wilderness. The wild beasts that lived there both did not harm the bishop and protected the cave he lived in and brought him food. Predators became peaceful and tame and sick animals became well around him.