Русский English Deutsch Le français Español Lingua italiana Suomi Svenska 中
search
Main page / Museums and sightseeing in Veliky Novgorod / Church of St. John the Divine on Vitka, 1383 – 1384
Church of St. John the Divine on Vitka, 1383 – 1384
Address:
Alexander Nevsky Embankment, Veliky Novgorod

Telephone:
+7 (816 2) 66 59 42

WWW:
http://visitnovgorod.ru

Working hours:
богослужения в субботу и предпраздничные дни: с 16:00 до 21:00
в воскресенье и праздничные дни: с 9:00 до 12:00
посещение храма в иное время – по предварительной договоренности

Entrance Fee:
бесплатно/ free

GPS:
58.53260500, 31.29169800
 

The church used to be a part of a convent that unfortunately can be proved by no historical documents though. The church combined the pure simplicity and proportions. The construction is primarily original. The restoration works in the mid 20th c. revealed and revived a portal of the 14th c.

The church was erected on a hill at the Volkhov River, close to the Middle-age rampart. Sunset’s dying glow reflects in the water and flames the church walls thus reviving the past time when the church was erected.

In 2001, the Church of St. John the Divine on Vitka - passed on to the Old Believers’ by that time – held the first service after a long while.

↑ Up