(click the image to zoom)
1. The theatre of time: Troitskiy excavation. A journey in the past. Only in the Troitskiy excavation both tourists and novgorodians can experience a journey back in time, from the 21st century to the Middle Age, to see with their own eyes how the city's past has been frozen in the layer of the older city and be a spectator of the play of time.
2. Museum of Fine Arts. Exhibit Russian art in the 18th-20th century. The exhibit is held in the building from 1851, built according to the project of the architect A. I. Stackenschneider (1802 – 1865). In 2001 the building was converted into the Museum of Fine Arts that now hosts the exhibit Russian art in the 18th-20th century, which displays a vast collection of Russian paintings, graphic arts and sculptures. The collection of miniature portraits is amazing for its genre and stylistic diversity.
3. The Hall of Military Glory. The Exposition reproduces a thousand-year history of participation of novgorodians in protection of their city and motherland.
4. Musical Monument to Sergey Rachmaninoff. Rachmaninoff was one of the greatest musicians of the 19th – 20th cc. His life was closely connected with the land of Novgorod. The monument was unveiled on June 14th, 2009.
5. Desyatinny Convent of the Nativity of Our Lady, 14th c. At the time of the Novgorod republic there were archbishop’s housing, monastic cells, reception rooms and dining halls that proved the high importance of the convent at that time. Buildings from the 19th – 20th cc. were preserved till these days. They house exhibition halls of the State Arts and Culture Museum of Novgorod Land and artists’ studios.
A Walking Route Monuments of Nerevsky End
Nerevsky End is a district of medieval Novgorod, located in the north of Sophia Side.
Nerevsky End, as well as Slavonic End, began to be considered "great" in the 15th century. Presumably, it was due to successful colonization of Dvina lands mainly by the boyars of Nerevsky End and to political activity of Isaac Boretsky, who was a husband of legendary Martha the Mayoress (Marfa Posadnitsa) and fought for Novgorod liberty.
The unique ensemble of architectural and archeological monuments of Novgorod Republic was preserved in the small territory of Nerevsky End.
On July 26, 1951, the first birch-bark letter was found during the excavations that were carried out by Moscow University and Institute of Archeology of Academy of Sciences of the USSR led by A.V. Artsikhovsky.
We offer you to get acquainted with the history of Veliky Novgorod, while leisurely walking down the ancient streets of Nerevsky End.
6. Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Kozhevniki, 1406 Church is closed during winter, from October 1st. The church is located in an area that used to be called Kozhevniki (Tanners), as there used to live furriers. Since their work was associated with unpleasant smells they lived just outside the city borders. The stone church, built in 1406, is one of the most beautiful in the city and has preserved its original look.
7. Church of St. Simeon the God-Receiver At Zverin Convent, 1467. The Church of St. Simeon the God-Receiver (1467) is located on the territory of the former Zverin cloister, where is now found the modern church of the Intercession of the Virgin, annexed in 1901, where the relics of St. Savva of Vishera the Miracle-worker are kept.
8. The Zverin Monastery is named after the main church of the Intercession of the Virgin. The name “Zverin”, that means “animal” comes from the place that existed there in the 11th century, a natural reserve where hunting was forbidden.
9. Cloister of the Holy Spirit, 12th c. It is one of the oldest, biggest and richest cloisters in Velikiy Novgorod. It was first mentioned in the records as already existing in 1162.
10. The sculpture of the fitter and the cat. You can see a fitter from Novgorod on the alley near Polytechnic College of Yaroslav-the-Wise Novgorod State University.