Русский English Deutsch Le français Español Lingua italiana Suomi Svenska 中
search
Main page / Museums and sightseeing in Veliky Novgorod / Route 4: Veliky Novgorod – Staraya Russa resort town – Seliger Lake
Route 4: Veliky Novgorod – Staraya Russa resort town – Seliger Lake
Address:
Novgorodsky, Shimsky, Starorussky, Parfinsky, Demyansky districts of the Novgorod region

Telephone:
+7 905 290 86 86

WWW:
http://region.visitnovgorod.ru

Working hours:
согласно режиму работы объектов

according to the working hours of the places

Entrance Fee:
различная/various

GPS:
58.52140800, 31.27445800
 

Veliky Novgorod

The oldest city of Russia, the cradle of Russian democracy, the medieval center of trade and craft, the biggest partner of Hanseatic League in 12th-17th centuries, the link between medieval Europe and Rus’ and the border between two civilizations – Veliky Novgorod is all of that.

  • St. Michael Klopsky Monastery of the Holy Trinity

The monastery became famous due to the wondrous reverend Miсhaеl Klopsky, who was still unknown when he came there in the beginning of 15th century.

  • Museum of Cinema in Borki village

A sightseeing tour on the history of cinema awaits you in the museum of cinema of Novgorodsky district. You will learn how to edit the film prints and see the first Russian movies ever created.

Shimsky district of the Novgorod region

In 1471, the decisive battle between the troops of Ivan the 3rd and Novgorodians had occurred on the river Shelon (near Skirino (Velebisty) village, Soletsky district). The first peace treaty between Moscow and Novgorod had been signed in the Korostyn village, which laid the foundation for the unitary state.

Places of interest:

  • Korostyn Village, Ilmen Glint

Ancient slavs have always been attracted to the sea cliffs of Ilmen. In the forests atop the noisy shores, they hunted the wildlife and bred bees.

  • 19th century Travel Palace in Korostyn Village

The travel palace is a monument to the period of Novgorodian history when military settlements were commonplace.

Staraya Russa Resort Town

This ancient town is the only place in Russia that had preserved the name of the Rus’ tribe in its own name. It was first mentioned in the chronicles in 1167, and the archeological research allows us to assume, that the town was built around the second half of the 10th century.

Places of interest:

Dostoevsky’s Memorial House opened its doors for the citizens and guests of the city on 4th of May, 1981. The great Russian writer came to Staraya Russa in the year 1872, and it became the place of resort and creativity for him and his family for the next 8 years.

Saint George’s Church and the nearby Annunciation Church (now, the chantry) were built in 1410. During the reconstruction in the year 1740, the Saint George’s Church was completely demolished and built anew, according to the past architecture style.



The town of Staraya Russa in the Novgorod region houses the ancient picturesque resort of Russia.

Parfinsky district of the Novgorod region

The fate of Parfino Village is just as interesting, both to the fellow natives and the guests.

Places of interest:

  • Semenets-Galsky Estate

The Semenets-Galsky Estate, located next to the village of Khmelevo, by the side of the Lovat river, was visited by noble guests on steamboats.

  • Polavsky House of Folklore and Craft

Tourists and visitors are welcome to take part in an entertaining program called “The Circle of the Planet”. The participants move from season to season, with elements of folk holidays included in the act. Apart from that, there are also stylized folk rituals, folk games and workshops.

Demyansky district of the Novgorod region

The first mention of Demyansk, the center of the district, dates back to 1406, when it was included in the “Farthest and closest cities list” under the name “Demon” (Deman, Demyan)”.

Places of interest:

  • Holy Cross Elevation Church in Demyansk Village

The new Holy Cross Elevation Church was opened during the orthodox holiday called The Exaltation of the Holy Cross on 27th of September, 1998. The main constructor and designer behind the project were Father Peter and Father John. The whole world took part in the building process.

  • Northwest Frontline Memorial

In 1975 began the construction of the North-west frontline memorial, located at the place of ex-POW camp called “Popovo boloto”, formed by German occupants near Demyansk on 13th of September, 1941. The camp claimed the lives of more than a hundred thousand people.

  • Seliger Lake and Active Leisure

One of the most beautiful lakes on our planet. Pine forests filled with the smell of resin, groves of birches, crystal-clear water and sandy beaches.

The Pearl of Russia – a name well deserved.

↑ Up