The oldest city of Russia, the cradle of Russian democracy, the medieval center of trade and craft, the biggest partner of Hanseatic League in 12th-17th centuries, the link between medieval Europe and Rus’ and the border between two civilizations – Veliky Novgorod is all of that.
The monastery became famous due to the wondrous reverend Michael Klopsky, who was still unknown when he came there in the beginning of 15th century.
A sightseeing tour on the history of cinema awaits you in the museum of cinema of Novgorodsky district. You will learn how to edit the film prints and see the first Russian movies ever created.
Shimsky district of the Novgorod region
In 1471, the decisive battle between the troops of Ivan the 3rd and Novgorodians had occurred on the river Shelon (near Skirino (Velebisty) village, Soletsky district). The first peace treaty between Moscow and Novgorod had been signed in the Korostyn village, which laid the foundation for the unitary state.
Places of interest:
Ancient slavs have always been attracted to the sea cliffs of Ilmen. In the forests atop the noisy shores, they hunted the wildlife and bred bees.
The travel palace is a monument to the period of Novgorodian history when military settlements were commonplace.
This ancient town is the only place in Russia that had preserved the name of the Rus’ tribe in its own name. It was first mentioned in the chronicles in 1167, and the archeological research allows us to assume, that the town was built around the second half of the 10th century.
Places of interest:
Dostoevsky’s Memorial House opened its doors for the citizens and guests of the city on 4th of May, 1981. The great Russian writer came to Staraya Russa in the year 1872, and it became the place of resort and creativity for him and his family for the next 8 years.
Saint George’s Church and the nearby Annunciation Church (now, the chantry) were built in 1410. During the reconstruction in the year 1740, the Saint George’s Church was completely demolished and built anew, according to the past architecture style.
The town of Staraya Russa in the Novgorod region houses the ancient picturesque resort of Russia.
Kholmsky district of the Novgorod region
The town of Kholm is one of the few small towns in Russia that has more than 500 years of history behind it. Its fate was tragic: it was wiped off the face of the Earth twice, but has been rebuilt since then.
For many centuries, Rdeiskiy Monastery built near the Rdeiskoe Lake was the spiritual center of the Polisto-Rdeiskiy province.
The museum opened on 8th of May, 1983. It was possible only through collaboration of Local Lore Club members in Kholm School and searchers from Pioneer House under the command of the history teacher V. P. Bashkirtseva, who had all spent over 30 years searching for the historical materials and the war past of the province.