Русский English Deutsch Le français Español Lingua italiana Suomi Svenska 中
search
Main page / What's On / Exhibition Krestetsky Embroidery
Exhibition Krestetsky Embroidery
Date:
дата не определена

Time:
Open:10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Break: 12:30 p.m.– 13:30 p.m.Closed: Thu., Fri. and last Mon. of the month

Venue:
Likhudov building, the Kremlin, Veliky Novgorod

Contacts:
+7 (816 2) 77 37 38

Price:
110 roubles (adults)
70 roubles (students)

GPS:
58.51251900, 31.26937800

The exhibition Krestetsky Embroidery is situated in Likhudov building of the Novgorod Kremlin. It is devoted to one of the most famous art crafts of Novgorod region, which has gained acceptance and world fame. Exposition is displayed in two halls of the ground floor of Likhudov building of the XVII century, where the Slavic Greek Latin School of Likhudov brothers was situated from 1706 up to 1920s. More than 50 works (towels, edgings, napkins, runners, cloaks, hangings, pictures, men shirts and women chemises, dresses and others) made by craftswomen of different generations from the collection of the Novgorod museum over a period from the XX century up to the beginning of the XXI centuries were included in the collection of the exhibition.

The best works of the richest collection of Krestetsky needlework of the Novgorod museum are represented at the exhibition. The collection has been formed for many decades in course of museum expeditions and purchase of works of authorship.

Since olden times in many rural areas and villages of Valdaisky, Krestetsky, Okulovsky, Borovichsky and other districts people embroidered “on a broken needle” (less by half than a usual one) turning homespun linen into open-work towels, tablecloths and edgings. Unlike blind seams embroidery on a one-piece fabric for making a stitched seam threads were pulled out of the linen turning it into net and then the remaining threads were woven again with the needle creating various patterns.

In the beginning of the XIX century two centres of stitching embroidery – Krestetsky (Staroe Rakhino village) and Valdaysky (Zimogorye village) are in the foreground. Since that time local features of the embroidery art were forming. The invention of warping stitchings (additional threads which are laid over the net of fabric) played the key role in its formation. A warping stitching being made on a large canvas reminds lace and bears a name of guipure. Many various guipure patterns such as: “antique”, “loose”, “soap bubble”, “tarlata”, “Vologda glass” and others were worked out by Krestetsky and Valdaisky craftswomen. Exquisite beauty of snow-white laces, high quility of workmanship not only provided Krestetsky craft with ready sale at the town market but also brought fame to it.

Krestetsky products were exhibited at the first demonstrative exhibition of art crafts of Russia in 1911, where craftswoman Raisa Osipovna Tikhonova from Staroe Rakhino village performed stitching embroidery in front of the visitors. At the exhibition in Berlin in 1914 stitcher Alexander Vasilyevich Kondrashov, from Old Rakhino village, amazed spectators with his craft making open-work patterns in front of them.

The organization of Krestetsky Interdistrict Stitching Trade Union, which united numerous artels and workshops, has become an important stage in the development of the craft. A testing laboratory Strochpromsoyuz has been established. New variants of lace ornaments and its combinations has been designed there.

The appearance of the machine stitch in the middle of 1950s didn’t interrupt the tradition of hand embroidery. There is a shop of hand stitching and a testing laboratory at the factory Krestetskaya Strochka, founded in 1959. The artists of the testing laboratory work and develop the best tradition of Novgorod lace embroidery.

Krestetsky products were repeatedly exhibited at foreign and national exhibitions including the Novgorod museum where in 1976-1977 the exhibition The Creative Work of Krestetsky Craftswomen, based on the materials of the museum at the factory Krestetskaya Strochka, was displayed. At different times the works of Krestetsky embroideresses were part of a wide range of complex exhibitions of the Novgorod museum: The Modern Decorative and Applied Arts (1957), Property of the People (1980), Industry of Novgorod Region (1982), Russian National Embroidery of the End of the XIX-XX Centuries at the Collection of the Novgorod Museum (the end of 1980s).

↑ Up