Русский English Deutsch Le français Español Lingua italiana Suomi Svenska 中
search
Main page / Museums and sightseeing in Veliky Novgorod
Museums and sightseeing in Veliky Novgorod

Show

Veliky Novgorod is not accidently called a city-museum of Old Russia - no other place has preserved that number of great monuments of architecture and monumental painting.

Here it is hard and sometimes impossible to define where the city ends the musium begins. About 50 valuable monuments became a part of a modern city living structure. And the history of these churches, monasteries, fortifications is full of both amazing and tradgic pages.

Online City Guide of Veliky Novgorod: maps, tourist routs, practical information.

Functioning cathedrals and churches of Veliky Novgorod

UNESCO World Heritage sites in Veliky Novgorod

Bring your friends and relatieves tasty and useful souvenirs from Veliky Novgorod: ginger bread, honey, kvas (bread drink)!

Cathedral of St. Sophia the Wisdom of God
The St. Sophia is one of Russia's oldest stone buildings. It was erected by Prince Vladimir, the eldest son of Yaroslav the Wise, and his mother Anna in 1045 – 1050.
Clock Tower and Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh
The church (1463) is the only building in the Russian northwest constructed over a gateway that was preserved till these days.
Church of St. Andrew Stratilates
Built in the south-eastern part of the Kremlin in the late 15th century, the church was erected replacing the stair tower of former gigantic Sts. Boris and Gleb Church.
Myrrhbearers Church
The church was commissioned by a Moscow merchant Ivan Syrkov in 1508, who founded a successful merchant dynasty in Novgorod. 
Church of St. Procopius
Stylized, yet graceful architecture of this building includes a distinctly Moscovite decorative pattern on its facade.
St. Nicholas Cathedral
St Nicholas’ Cathedral of the 12th century is the oldest cathedral in Russia among those devoted to St. Nicholas.
Church of St. Parasceva the Friday on the Marketplace
The church was built in 1207 with the money of foreign merchants in the name of St. Parasceva, who was believed to be the patron saint of trade.
Church of the Dormition in the Marketplace
Founded by Prince Vsevolod in 1135 after Novgorod troops were defeated by the warriors of Suzdal. It was the city's last building commissioned by the prince.
The Church of St George on the Marketplace
This church was built in 1356 replacing a wooden church with the same name. The lower part dates back to the 14th century.
The Church of St. John the Baptist on Opoki
The church included a Merchant Court that heard litigation on various commercial issues. The standards of weights and measures were also kept there.
Church of St. Theodore Stratilates on Schirkova Street
This marvellous church has a distinctive mature architectural design. It is a fine example of the architecture of the early 15th century.
Churches of St. Philip the Apostle and St. Nicholas the Wonderworker
The two churches were built in 1526 on Noutnaya Street by Novgorod and Moscow merchants on the site of an older, 14th century church.
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Sign
This church was built on the site of the old Church of the Holy Sign, which was erected for keeping the icon “Our Lady of the Sign” that protected Novgorod from an attack by a host from city of Suzdal in 1170.
Church of Saviour's Transfiguration on Ilyina St.
It is the only church in the world that has managed to preserve the frescoes by Theophanes the Greek who painted about 40 churches.
Church of St. Theodore Stratilates on the Brook
This remarkable monument of Novgorod architecture served as a model and inspiration for the next generations of architects.
Cathedral of the Nativity of our Lady in St. Anthony's Monastery
According to a legend, the monastery was founded by St. Anthony from Rome who made a miraculous journey around Europe in three days and finally arrived to Novgorod on a floating stone.
Church of St. John the Divine on Vitka
The church was erected in the 14th centuru on a hill at the Volkhov River, close to the Middle-age rampart. Sunset’s dying glow reflects in the water and flames the church walls thus reviving the past time when the church was erected.
Church of Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin
Built in 70 days, by order of Novgorod Archbishop Ilya. The church didn’t belong to Arkazhsky monastery that arose later. The name appeared due to the nearby village Arkazhi.
Trinity Church in Yamskaya Sloboda
The stone church was built in 1365. Despite the fact that the church building is not that large and rich, it was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Sts. Peter And Paul Church In Kozhevniki
This is a marvellous church which is distinctive for the mature architectural design, a fine example of the architecture of the early 15th century.
The Church of Nikola Bely
The Church of Nikola Bely (Nicholas Wonderworker) is an architectural monument of federal significance located in the ancient Nerevsky End of medieval Novgorod.
Church of St. Simeon the God-Receiver At Zverin Convent
The two-tier miniature Church of St. Simeon the God-Receiver (1467) is located on the territory of the former 12th century Zverin cloister.
Church of the Nativity of Our Savoir at Red Field
The monastic church of the construction typical in the 14th c. The original look of the church and unique frescos of the 14th c. have been preserved till these days.
Church of the Dormition of Our Lady on Volotovo field
The church got world-wide renown not only for its architectural merits, but also for the unique frescos of 1363.
Church of Saviour's Transfiguration on Kovalevo Field
The church was built in 1345 and for a long time it was the main temple of the Cloister of the Transfiguration of Our Savior in Kovalevo. 
Church of Saviour's Transfiguration on Nereditsa Hill
This world famous church (1198) is the only extant building of the former small Nereditsky cloister, where there is the village of Nereditsa today.
St. Nicholas church on the Island of Lipno
The church was built in 1292 on the site of the miraculous acquisition of the icon of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. According to the legend, in the XII century it healed Prince Mstislav.
↑ Up