Русский English Deutsch Le français Español Lingua italiana Suomi Svenska 中
search
Main page / Museums and sightseeing in Veliky Novgorod / UNESCO World Heritage sites in Veliky Novgorod
UNESCO World Heritage sites in Veliky Novgorod
Address:
Veliky Novgorod and surroundings

Telephone:
+7 (816 2) 77 21 16 (Охрана культурного наследия Новгородской области / Cultural Heritage Protection in Novgorod region)

WWW:
http://okn53.ru

Working hours:
разный

Entrance Fee:
разная

GPS:
58.52162200, 31.27575600

Historical sites of Veliky Novgorod and its surroundings included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Inscription on this list confirms their Outstanding Universal Value which deserved protection for the benefit of all humanity.

Decision of the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage Committee of December 14, 1992. 

1. Cultural archeological layer
2. Architectual complex of Novgorod Kremlin (11th – 19th centuries)
3. Architectual complex of Yaroslav's Court (12th – 19th centuries)
4. Moat and Rampart (14th – 16th centuries)
5. White (Alekseevskaya) Tower (16th century)
6. St. Nicholas Church on the Island of Lipno (1292)
7. Church of Saviour's Transfiguration on Nereditsa Hill (1198)
8. Cathedral of the Annunciation on Rurik’s Hill Fort (1103, 1342 - 1343)
9. Architectual Complex of Peryn Skete (13th – 19th centuries)
10. Architectual Complex of St. George Monastery (12th – 19th centuries)
11. Church of Annunciation of Blessed Virgin on Myachino Lake (1422)
12. Church of St. John the Merciful on Myachino Lake (1421)

about the church

According to the archive descriptions, the wooden church of St. John the Merciful was built in 1193. The construction of stone church began in 1421 (probably 1422 - 1423) and was completed by 1672. Currently it is a small cubic building with one altar ledge.

The masonry of the 15th century is made of red shell rock with a small amount of gray limestone slab; the masonry of the 17th - 18th centuries is made of brick.

Before the final restructuring Church of St. John the Merciful had distinctive features of Novgorod architects of the early 15th century which allow to rank it among the unique monuments of local architecture. It is the earliest of the temples preserved in Veliky Novgorod with a single-pillar refectory chamber, which is also located unusually - not from the west, but from the north of the church.

During the World War II, the church was seriously damaged and by the beginning of restoration work it was in a critical condition. Thanks to restoration, the temple got back the closest to the 17th century appearance, preserving the forms of the 15th century and some later details at the same time.

13. Resurrection of Christ Church (Assurance of Apostle Thomas) on Myachino Lake (12th – 15th centuries)

about the church

The original stone church of Resurrection of Christ Church is one of the oldest in Veliky Novgorod and was founded in 1195. At first, there was a wooden one. Its traces were discovered only in 1960.

In later sources, the temple is also mentioned as Assurance of Apostle Thomas church. It had painted walls until the XV century when the construction was dismantled to the level of tile floor in order to build a new temple. The new church of the 15th century repeated an architectural decisions and a composition of the previous building, but at the same time had its own design features inherent the Novgorod architecture of that period. It was distinguished by the building material, the decorative design of the facades, and the interiors.

Later the temple was repeatedly reconstructed, the most significant changes occurred in the 18th century.

During the World War II, the church was seriously damaged: the central arch collapsed, there also was a threat of wall collapse. In 1962 - 1963 a grand-scale reconstructive work was carried out alongside with the restoration of some architectural forms.

14. Sts. Peter and Paul Church on Sinichya Hill (1185 - 1192)

about the church

Church of Peter and Paul is the only surviving building of the former Peter and Paul monastery located 1.5 km southwest of the Novgorod Kremlin. It stands on a small hill in the center of the cemetery.

According to the earliest chronicles, the stone church of Peter and Paul was founded in 1185. The construction completed in 1192. The temple is unique by the fact that for the first time ever in Novgorod its construction was initiated by the citizens - residents of Lukina Street («lukinichi»). Such corporate construction spread around Novgorod land only in the 14-15th centuries.

Church of Peter and Paul on Sinichya Hill was partly restored in its original form in 1962 - 1964. Reconstructive work were carried out on the western facade and open brickwork, window openings and a portal with a niche. The temple arches were completely cleared and strengthened, a new roof structure was constructed, and a metal roof was made. An oak cross was installed on the new dome.

15. Church of Trinity in Yamskaya Sloboda (14 th, 18th – 19th centuries)
16. St. Blaise Church (1407)

about the church

The stone church was constructed in 1407 to replace its wooden predecessor that was there since 1184. The Christian cult of St. Blaise ("Vlasiy" in Russian), the patron of cattle, is the evolution of the ancient pagan cult of god Volos or Veles. It is likely that in pre-Christian times the place where the church is today was the site of an idol of Volos.

According to an apocryphal story, Bishop Blaise, to whom the church is dedicated, had to escape from persecution by Emperor Diocletianus and therefore hid himself in the mountain wilderness. The wild beasts that lived there both did not harm the bishop and protected the cave he lived in and brought him food. Predators became peaceful and tame and sick animals became well around him.

17. Church of the Twelve Apostles on the Abyss (1454-1455)

about the church

The stone church of the Twelve Apostles on the Abyss was built in 1454 on the site of a wooden church of the same name erected by Archbishop Euthymius in 1432 in place of an earlier wooden church of 1358. For the first time the church was mentioned in chronicle in 1230 in connection with the building of a common grave nearby for victims of the plague.

Nowadays the small church with exquisitely fine proportions is one of the finest examples of 15th-century architecture. The architect adopted the traditional forms of Novgorodian churches in the 14th and early 15th century and reduced the decorative elements to an absolute minimum. The original trefoil gables were later replaced by a double pitched roof.

During World War II the temple was seriously damaged, in 1949 and 1957-1958 it was repaired.

In 1992 the monument was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. In 2017 the church was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church.

18. Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Kozhevniki (1406)
19. Church of St. Nicola-Belsky monastery (1312 - 1313)
20. Architectual complex of Zverin Monastery (14th – 19th centuries)
21. Church of the Holy Trinity of Holy Spirit Cloister (1557)
22. Church of St. Theodore Stratilates on Schirkova Street (1292 - 1294)
23. Church of Peter and Paul at Slavna (1367)

about the church

According to the chronicles, the wooden church of the Apostles Peter and Paul was built in 1146. The temple burned down in 1192 and was set up again in 1193.

The stone church of Peter and Paul was founded in 1367 and belongs to the classical type of Novgorod temples. But it partly lost some architectural forms of the 14th century. During the devastating fire of the Trade side in 1541 the church burned down for the second time - all the upper parts of the building collapsed and later they were dismantled (dome drum, vaults, upper arches) and restored in other forms.

The second major rebuilding of the temple took place shortly after the Swedish occupation of 1611 - 1617.

During the World War II, the church was seriously damaged: all wooden structures and some sections of the masonry were destroyed, the communication system was broken. In 1977, the temple was renovated and restored.

24. Church of Annunciation on the Marketplace (1553)
25. Church of Michael the Archangel with the Church of Annunciation and the Bell Tower (1300, 15th – 19th centuries)
26. Churches of St. Philip the Apostle and St. Nicholas the Wonderworker (1526)
27. Cathedral of Our Lady of the Sign (17th – 19th centuries)
28. Church of Saviour's Transfiguration on Ilyina Street (1374)
29. Church of Clement the Roman on Ivorov Street (1520)
30. Church of Dmitry Solunsky with the Bell Tower (1462)
31. Church of St. Theodore Stratilates on the Brook (1360-1361)
32. Church of the Nativity of Our Lady of Mikhailitsky Monastery (beginning of the 12th century, 1379)
33. Refectory with Church of Michael Malein of Mikhailitsky Monastery (1557)
34. Church of the Resurrection of Our Savoir at Red Field (1380)
35. The Church of St. Boris and Gleb in Plotniki (1536 - 1537)
36. Church of St. John the Divine on Vitka (1383 - 1384)
37. St Anthony's Monastery (12th – 19th centuries)

↑ Up